Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bonsai!

Some days, I just need to unwind. My back has felt out of order for a few weeks now, and this work week already has me on the last straw of my patience. So, where to go to relax? For me, Chinatown is my special place to slip into a peaceful groove (amidst the usually overcrowded streets. Juxtaposition, I suppose).

First, to cure my physical ailments: a much-needed massage in which knuckles and elbows released all of the knots in my back, hips, arms, legs... All the way from my toes to fingertips. Chinese massage isn't your lay-down-and-relax-with-candles massage; it's an intense pressure point experience that sometimes is almost unbearable. But, trust me, it is worth it. I feel half my age when all is said and done.

Next, my appetite: picked up some fresh vegetables and fruits from the bountiful roadside vendors. I always love to see what is fresh and in season. Today, I bought a bitter melon to experiment with. I've never eaten it before, let alone cook it. So.... We'll have to see how that turns out tomorrow.

Finally, my zen: cooking. As I mentioned last week, I have a constant supply of kale in the house. My Chinatown adventures had put my palate in an Asian mood, so I made a kale miso soup with some tiny red chilis. Spicy foods actually help you cool down in this sweltering hot weather!

Sometimes we all just need our own special ways to unwind.









No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3