Monday, September 1, 2014

Local Love: Alton


You know that saying, "If you want to make God laugh, make plans" ?
Well, our little seaside dreams have been put on the back burner, at least temporarily. Brighton will have to wait for someday, because Steve just accepted a *great* job, and we're both really thrilled. This will mean a lot of changes, first and foremost being that we will need to move closer to where he now works. Yesterday we hopped in the car and drove south a little, looking for a place to call home. 

At first, I was outwardly happy for him, but personally disappointed that my bungalow by the beach wasn't in our immediate future. One road trip to a little town called Alton changed my mind, and I'm so happy that his job could take us to such a picture-perfect place. 

Strolling around the cobbled streets lined with boutiques, go-to high street shops, fabulous looking (and smelling) restaurants, specialty butchers and greengrocers, and beautiful historic buildings, I could absolutely see myself calling this village home. It has all of the wants of a city, with the charm of a village, and the accessibility of a town. Does that make sense? 

I particularly fell in love with a local fresh grocer, where produce and flowers arrive daily from Covent Garden Market, and all dry goods are in large barrels (no packaging! all sold by weight). And - this was a big plus for me - unlike some local, organic, amazing food markets, this shop didn't pull your pants down over the prices. Nope, just a wonderful neighborhood one stop shop. Even exotic and specialty items that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find after we moved were fresh, in stock, and affordable. 

All in all, the future is looking bright and beautiful. Another chapter begins. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3