Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New Year Goals


The word "resolutions" tends to bum me out. In my personal dictionary, you'd find the definition as something like, 'lofty and unattainable ultimatums which are expected to be quickly abandoned." Far from 'starting the new year off right', so far I've only managed to start off this year with a case of the flu and some complicated computer problems. So, I don't make resolutions. I'm going to make goals. Here are my goals for 2015, with hopes that I can achieve at least one of them successfully, and hopefully aspire to even more as the year progresses.

Create more art.
I love making and experiencing art in a variety of forms. Drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, dance, whatever. Well, I can't dance, but you know what I mean. In the move, I've had to ditch a lot of my supplies, but I also just haven't made time for my art in the past year. I used to paint, a lot. The walls of my old apartment were covered in my paintings. And I had sketchbooks full of doodles and drawings. It's a release, like having a diary, that I'd like to push myself to involve more, again. Because I miss it, and because it's fun.

Consume less.
This isn't a diet-based goal, it's based on consuming in the economic sense. I'm not going to make any brazen promises like committing to a spend-free year plan (though I totally respect and admire anyone who can), but it's a goal to consume less, to think that we need less, and to abandon materialism a little bit more. I took a few steps in that direction last year, when I decided to combine my love of vintage and thrifted clothing with my shrunken budget. I got rid of (donated) - are you ready for this? - 20 large trash bags of perfectly good clothing, shoes, and handbags when we moved. And my closet is still full now and I have plenty of things to wear. I cannot tell you how much countless CRAP dime-a-dozen pieces of clothing I acquired just because it was on sale, or for the sake of having one more thing in my wardrobe. Now I have the worthwhile pieces I need, and that's that. Not that I don't still love clothing, or shopping - but I don't NEED the senseless, cheap, disposable, things I don't truly like or want. It felt good to de-clutter even just this part of my life, so I'd like to do it in more areas.
This goal to consume less in  2015 applies not just to my wardrobe and shopping, but to lusting after things that we don't need, either, just because society and marketing deems something as a necessity. I don't need an iPad- and here's a really fun fact- no one does. Guess what? Man has survived for thousands of years without an iPad, and I'll survive without one, too.

So, those are my goals for the brand new year. What are yours?





3 comments :

  1. My goal is to take time for me a little bit more. And to be healthier. Both similar actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great goals, and I'll have to add consume less to my list as well. I have so much already and honestly don't need more!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These goals are great! I too need to consume less!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3