Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Rosy Cosy Rosewater



If you follow me on instagram, you'll know that I spoiled myself last week by bringing home 2 dozen roses for absolutely no reason. Sometimes, a smile is reason enough. 

Well, after a few days, a couple of my roses began to wilt. I didn't want my beauties to go to waste, so I decided to make some rosewater using 6-8 of the roses. Rosewater has so many properties and uses. It contains the essential rose oils, as well as being a light and refreshing floral scent. Supposedly, Cleopatra bathed in rosewater to seduce her lover Anthony. It is also a lovely facial astringent, which is mainly what I use it for . You can use any type of roses, but I prefer something pink or red, because it gives the rosewater a really pretty pink hue.


I began by filling a pot (or you can use a bowl with a tight lid) with rose petals. 


Handy dandy electric kettle to the rescue! I poured boiling water over the petals until the water barely reached the top layer of the petals.


The lid on tight, I left the petals to steam and steep until the water had cooled. This took several hours.... so I got some much-needed laundry time in. 


Strain and bottle your magic potion! Voila!

1 comment :

  1. Great idea! I also love roses :)
    Greetings from Vienna

    www.alexavoncanisius.com/blog

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3