Friday, August 15, 2014

Berry Good

Cooking: it never gets old (well, at least for me it doesn't). Experimentation is a constant, exciting adventure. Flavors I never would have thought to combine can actually be complimentary, and it's an exciting inspiration when I'm in the kitchen. Since lavender has continued to gain popularity in recipes (being used for culinary flavor instead of being used solely for fragrance), I've tried to use more herbs outside of their 'original purpose comfort zone'.

Blackberries are in season here at the moment, so I've been picking them at every chance I get. I munch them on their own or in some greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey. Yesterday, sitting on the kitchen windowsill there were five basil plants, so I thought, What the heck, and tossed a few leaves into my yogurt and berry snack. What a yummy flavor pairing! This isn't the first time I've had a basil-and-fruit epiphany; remember my recipe for Pineapple Basil Granita? That one was a favorite. 


It's so fun to continue to incorporate basil into my cooking, outside of traditional savory recipes. Another favorite summer snack with an unexpected spiced twist is watermelon sprinkled with chai tea masala. (I buy this brand, or pick up a spice mixture from a local Middle Eastern grocery store).

Have any tips on unexpected herbal or spice flavor pairings? Comment and let me know so I can give it a try, too!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3