Friday, August 22, 2014

Warm and Seasonal


In an effort to eat healthier (and cut back on my daily French cheese binges) I'm trying to make sure that my meals stay fresh and seasonal. August is one of my favorite months for fresh produce; the start of the "harvest season."

One cannot live on salads alone, so I tried to dress this one up with a toasty twist: on a bed of fresh cool spinach, I've piled some roasted vegetables. I love the interplay of warm and cool, and the contrast in crunchy and soft textures. The spinach underneath wilts ever so slightly, as the tomatoes burst and the juices create their own dressing for this salad. As an extra treat today, I've put some cold smoked trout flaked on top. It's salty and creamy, and reminds me of the fish I loved to eat growing up. You could substitute some good tuna, or even some sardines or anchovies if that's more to your taste. Or, if you're not much of a fish person, this flavorful veggie feast doesn't need any additional adornment. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1/2 of a medium sized (8-9 inch long) courgette (zucchini), in 1/4" slices
1/4 of one large yellow or red onion, sliced thinly
1 clove of garlic, sliced thin OR 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Fresh cherry tomatoes, whole, one handful
1 handful fresh baby spinach, rinsed and dried
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (dried is ok, too!)
Olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste

In a saucepan over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and coat the base of the pan
Add tomato, onion, garlic, and courgette, salt and pepper, and toss to coat
Saute for 6-8 minutes or until the ingredients are cooked to your liking (some like it crunchier, some like it softer)
Place spinach in a large bowl, and top with the cooked veggies
Flake smoked fish (or your fish of choice) over the top
Enjoy!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3