Friday, August 15, 2014

On Comfort

A little over two weeks into our big move across the pond, and I'm beginning to settle in. I think.
At least, I feel comfortable. But a lot of things in life right now are kind of uncomfortable, and I'd like to expand on that. I know that my mother's birthday is tomorrow, and it makes me even more aware of the 3000+ miles between us. It's not easy, and I think I underestimated that. I've lived hundreds of miles from my hometown for years now, so I didn't think I'd be as phased. And I'm not, really. It's just sometimes you miss the little things. 



I don't really have any friends here yet, but that's not a biggie. I was used to the hectic work schedule and daily life of NYC that, for the past few years, had put a damper on my social life. My husband's friends have been, for the most part, really welcoming and fun here in England, and I'm thankful for that. My in-laws are wonderful, wonderful people, and their home feels like my home. Female companionship, though, is sort of limited at the moment. And "artsy" companionship. I dealt with that, even when I was still in New York, when my longtime creative partners in crime were separated by the states between us. I think I have yet to fill that void, but I'm faithful that it'll happen soon. Soon enough, at least.


I'm a little uncomfortable with being photographed these days, but I'm trying to push myself to get back into it more and more. I'm planning on dedicating a lot more time to this blog, and a few other online endeavors, until I can get a visa to work here. I don't currently have the luxury of anyone handy with a camera at my disposal, so I've enlisted Steve to wield my iPhone whenever I see a photo op. He's always willing to help out and give it his best try, so I have no complaints there (even when I do). Our current strategy is to snap as many photos as humanly possible and cross my fingers that one comes out alright. I  jokingly blame him for my discomfort on the other side of the lens, since I've put on some weight since we got married last October; someone likes his meat & mashed potato dinners, and I've obliged to cooking (read: eating) them. I don't really blame him, though, and now I'm getting back on track to being a healthier, better version of me. 


So, it's been good. It's been really, really fun so far. I feel like I'm having one of those life-changing, self-evaluation, "finding myself" experiences thanks to this move. And I think that's a good thing.

Dress: Target
Cuff: Forever21
Bun... Thing: H&M 





No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3