Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pell Street


There are a lot of things that I will miss about living in NYC, but I think that this particular one-lane side street might take the cake. Home of the legendary Joe's Shanghai, my favorite dim sum parlor, and the best haircut you'll ever get (for under $15)... Pell Street in Chinatown. 


While walking down the tourist-shop-laden Mott Street, one might miss this unassuming looking alley. From either end, the only thing you might see is a steady queue of people waiting for their chance to indulge in soup dumplings at Joe's. I've cured many a hangover with an overloading of "brunch" at Delight 28 dim sum. The first time I stumbled across this dining hall, it took me a few months to find it again; it used to be impossible to find on Google maps, a sort of Narnia of all things delicious. 

Only blocks from my favorite watering hole, I once took a bet (from the bartender) and went to a hair salon on this street to have all of my hair cut off. All of it. Pixie on a whim. And it was amazing. 

I'm going to miss everything about this little place, this little neighborhood that made me feel as if I had a place in this anonymous labyrinth of a city. And I need to go back one more time before we leave.


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3