Friday, July 25, 2014

Stress (Relief)

I had a lot more I wanted to say this morning, before the internet stole the past two days of my work. 
I find it ironic that I had written and edited this post about the relaxing and stress-relieving properties of lavender essential oil, and have ended up very stressed out in the process. Ah, technology. You never cease to fail me. 

I love lavender. I have a lavender plant on my bedroom windowsill that I have somehow managed to keep alive for about two years. It looks a bit depressed, but I'm proud of my wilted green thumb nonetheless. There is a vial of essential oil next to my bed, and every night before bed I like to dab a few drops on my pulse points to help me unwind.


Lately, though, I've found an even greater use for my favorite oil: bug bites! I'm a magnet for mosquitos in the summer months, and dabbing the lavender oil eliminates itching and swelling (and has natural antiseptic properties, to boot!). I personally think it works better than any over-the-counter allergy cream I've bought before, and I feel a lot better about putting something natural on my skin. 

With the increased use of my little bottle, the need for a refill arose. There is a really interesting shop down the street from my apartment, but I've always avoided it because of the strong hippie incense vibe I got when I walked by. I couldn't have been more wrong! I'm really glad I stopped in yesterday, because it was stunning just to look around.

 All of the walls were lined with shelves filled with colorful glass bottles containing a variety of oils and perfume base scents. Everything from dark brown bottles containing the light-sensitive essential oils, to brightly colored essences of bubblegum and chocolate mint stood in neat rows around the entire interior of the store. It reminded me of an ancient apothecary, and I loved wandering around while the owner measured out a new vial of lavender oil for me. I'm just sad that I only just discovered this magical shop right before we're about to leave!


Now, time to unwind from my technological difficulties this morning and prepare for another hectic day of packing.

What is your favorite essential oil? How do you use it? Comment below and let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to read all of your comments! Thanks so much!! <3